Many of us are mindful that drinking water on a daily basis is something that we need to do. But, do we all heed the advice given to us? Do we all drink roughly 1.2 litres a day? Probably not! But why, when we know it’s essential in order for our bodies to function properly.
On average our bodies are made up of roughly 60% water; however this will differ from one person to the next, due to age, gender and fitness. Would you be surprised to know that your brain and heart are mostly water consisting of 73% water, your lungs are around 83%, skin is 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79% water and even your bones are 31% water. No we didn’t either!
So what does water do for us? Well; actually more than you think, here are just a few reasons of why you should increase your water intake:
· Your skin contains plenty of water and if you don’t drink enough water to replenish the water lost, then your skin will look more dry and wrinkled. However, don’t expect to erase all your wrinkles or fine lines to disappear by drinking more water than needed!
· Your kidneys are responsible for cleansing and getting rid of your body’s toxin. Water helps the kidneys remove wastes from your blood in the form of urine, but only if your intake of fluids is adequate.
· Water also helps keep your blood vessels open so that blood can travel freely to your kidneys.
· As your brain is largely water, drinking water helps you concentrate, focus and think better, plus it boosts your energy levels. It also helps with headaches, as the majority of headaches are caused by dehydration.
· Water helps to carry oxygen to your body cells, which helps in boosting your immune system.
· A research study by The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism has shown that just by drinking 500ml of water increased metabolic rate by 30%.
If you are fortunate enough to get seven or eight hours sleep each night, lucky you! But it also means your body will slowly dehydrate. If you’re drinking enough water during the day then that’s a great start, but the first thing you should do when you wake from sleep is have a drink of water.
Our bodies are constantly losing water naturally, from skin evaporation, going to the toilet and even breathing. It’s essential that these losses are replenished daily. If not, then you become dehydrated. You will feel thirsty, your mouth and lips will be dry, and you will feel dizzy or light headed. We’ll have more headaches and feel tired and our skin will look dry and …enough! Get me some water!
But, how many of us are bored with drinking plain water? Then again, who says water needs to be boring?
Infused waters are wonderful, refreshing and healthy
You can create delicious fresh flavours when you make your own infused water and choose ingredients that tantalises your taste buds. Experiment with your own combinations and reap the benefits and taste of goodness.
There are so many variations you could try but it is really down to individual taste, just for starters you could try;
Watermelon [increase healthy digestion and is a natural-inflammatory] Basil [contains antioxidants and helps fight viruses and infections]
Strawberry [helps reduce cholesterol, boosts immune system and regulates blood pressure] Mint [reduces depression and fatigue and increases healthy digestion]
Lemon [lowers blood pressure and promotes weight loss] Cucumber [helps reduce anxiety and is a great source of vitamin B] Mint helps with nausea and memory loss]
Orange [great source of vitamin E and reduces inflammation] Blueberries [packed with antioxidants, promotes healthy digestion and boosts immune system] Basil [helps fight viruses and infections and promotes heart health]
When you look at all the antioxidants and other helpful properties that each ingredient contains, then really it’s a sure way forward to giving your body everything it needs to stay fit and healthy. Don’t forget herbal teas either, these are a great if you want something warm and soothing.
Why not grow your own ingredients, especially small fruit and herbs. You will not only be saving money but being able to pick the herb leaves as and when you need them will give you the full benefit of their fresh nutrients. Did you know that half of the nutritional value of plants is lost within half an hour of harvesting? Better still, grow an indoor garden in your kitchen then they really are at your fingertips and ready for picking.
It’s easy to drink more water every day by making infused waters at home, it tastes so delicious you just want to drink more…so what are you waiting for?